Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Review: CELESTIAL by S.E. Anderson

Celestial (Starstruck, #4)Celestial by S.E. Anderson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ever since I read S.E. Anderson's debut, STARSTRUCK, I've been hooked on her books. These are fun sci-fi adventures like no others I've read, and I was lucky enough to get an advance reader copy of the fourth in the series, CELESTIAL.

And let me tell you this: With phenomenal character development, huge plot twists, and worldbuilding that gives us something new in the Starstruck world, CELESTIAL is an entertaining adventure and an emotional story that really makes you think about what's right and wrong.

The main thing about this book is it's so different to the others. We see a whole new side to Sally as her mental health is explored further, and as she jumps into the role of Goddess for a group of people she's only just meant. She becomes almost harder-faced and harsher, and some of her decisions surprised me, but I really liked how we saw her confidence grow. She felt like she'd grown into her role within the space-traveling-trio and she owned it--she's far from a tag-along now. She spoke her own mind, and although at times I didn't agree with her or her actions, I appreciated that she felt strong.

The other thing that's really different is the worldbuiling. There's less science-fiction in this book compared to the others in the series, and it's more fantasy-based, more spiritual. I really liked that and the new setting allowed us to see new sides to all the characters (not just Sally). I especially liked how we see much more of Blayde and understand her more.

The plot itself reminded me a lot of The Road to El Dorado, but it had a serious tone underlying it too.
The tension's high in this book, and there are many twists. Sort of a spoiler: there was also one death that made me cry.

And the ending...! Wow. I did not see that coming and evoked some VERY strong emotions. I can't wait for book five now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...