Pages

Friday, May 11, 2018

Review: The Silver Locket by Marie Fostino

The Silver LocketThe Silver Locket by Marie Fostino
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

When Jennifer finds her daughter is not home from school yet, her past flashed before her eyes with the memories of Jacy, love, death and becoming a mother at the age of sixteen.

People would stop Jenny and ask if the child she was with was her sister. "No this is my child." Yet the looks she got hurt her. She was 16 years old when her life changed forever. Despite being raised in a Christian home with strict religious values, some of her choices were careless, and they came with weighty consequences. 

A strange combination of sadness and joy overcome her when she turns back the clock. Names and faces float through her mind like ghosts that still haunted her but as always, a smile forms on her face and she remembers only love.


Marie Fostino was kind enough to send me a free ebook of ‘The Silver Locket’, in exchange for a review, so here it is:

[Warning:‭ ‬This review contains a few spoilers‭]‬.

I must admit,‭ ‬at first,‭ ‬when I started‭ ‘‬The Silver Locket‭’‬,‭ ‬I didn’t really identify with the main character,‭ ‬Jenny,‭ ‬and I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to continue reading.‭ ‬But I’m glad that I did‭!

Although some of the writing is a little‭ ‘‬suspect‭’ ‬in places,‭ ‬and repetitive,‭ ‬Marie Fostino is an expert at using evocative language and emotive imagery to create heart-wrenching moments.‭ ‬Indeed,‭ ‬the ending even brought tears to my eyes; although I didn’t see it coming,‭ ‬really,‭ ‬when looking back at the overall plot,‭ ‬it was inevitable‭ ‬- there really was so much subtle foreshadowing.

A couple of things that I did find confusing,‭ ‬especially at first,‭ ‬were the‭ ‘‬head-hopping‭’ ‬between different characters – with no apparent break/indication of a change of point of view -‭ ‬and how the thoughts of a character were shown.‭ ‬Sometimes the thoughts of the characters were speech-marked,‭ ‬other times they weren’t.‭

Although I didn’t really like the change of perspective at first,‭ ‬I began to get used to it,‭ ‬yet,‭ ‬overall,‭ ‬I feel that the story would’ve been strengthened had it solely been told from Jenny’s point of view.‭

At first,‭ ‬I found the characters and situations a bit stereotypical,‭ ‬i.e.‭ ‬good girl meets bad boy,‭ ‬Bad boy changes good girl,‭ ‬but then I realised that it is a thing that happens.‭ ‬After all,‭ ‬it showed the readers how big a problem drugs are,‭ ‬and how influential some people can be.‭

I must admit that I loved Jenny’s character arc.‭ ‬At the beginning,‭ ‬she annoyed me,‭ ‬but by the end,‭ ‬I felt that I could relate to her,‭ ‬and felt sympathy for her.‭ ‬But,‭ ‬I also admired her too.‭ ‬Similarly,‭ ‬I liked Jacy’s transformation,‭ ‬for the same reasons.‭

There were quite a few formatting issues,‭ ‬as well as grammatical errors (those aren’t really the author’s fault),‭ ‬but I did notice in two places where characters‭’ ‬names were misspelt.‭ ‬Particularly in the second-half of the book,‭ ‬I felt that there was more telling going on,‭ ‬rather than showing,‭ ‬but the ending was really evocative and emotional.

I also found a lot of the more minor and background characters to be one-dimensional – Jenny’s brothers and sisters, and some of Jacey’s friends.

The actual plot is great,‭ ‬and the event which triggers the whole plot off,‭ ‬is one that most people can relate to:‭ ‬moving house.‭ ‬This gave the book a very realistic feel,‭ ‬and I like how Marie Fostino created the illusion of a lot of time passing in certain parts of the narrative.

I also liked how the book started and ended with the grown-up Jenny’s point of view,‭ ‬showing how events in the past can really affect the individual in the future.‭ ‬I felt that this was realistic,‭ ‬and very well done.‭

Although this review sounds a little negative and critical, (like many of my reviews do!), this book is definitely worth reading; in ‘The Silver Locket’, Marie Fostino has delivered a powerful story.‭ ‬Indeed,‭ ‬I found that I couldn’t stop reading this,‭ ‬and I did read it in two evenings‭.‬

After finishing ‘The Silver Locket’,‭ ‬I discovered that this is one of those books,‭ ‬where,‭ ‬once you’ve read it,‭ ‬you can’t stop thinking about the main characters‭ (‬and the emotional ending‭)‬.

So, go and take a read of it for yourself, to find out what I mean.

Madeline’s Rating for ‘The Silver Locket’: 3.5 out of 5 stars.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Madeline for taking the time to read & review my book. HUGS I LOVE your honesty.

    ReplyDelete

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...