Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Review: ...AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR? by Holly Bourne

...And a Happy New Year? (The Spinster Club, #3.5)...And a Happy New Year? by Holly Bourne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Evie, Amber and Lottie are having a New Year party to remember. For the first time since leaving college, all three girls are back together. It’s time for fun and flirting, snogs and shots. Because everything’s going great for these girls – Spinster Club for ever! Right?



...AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR is the final book (this time a novella) in Holly Bourne’s Spinster Club series. I devoured the other books and when I saw this one had been published, I just had to get a copy.

This book is told via alternating POVs between Amber, Lottie, and Evie, and takes place across a couple of hours in the lead up to a new year. A few months have passed since the end of the last book, and we see how the girls have grown apart a little, yet still rely on each other.

As a fan of the other books in this series, I really loved this novella. It was a gem and really reminded me why I fell in love with Evie, Lottie, and Amber. It was so nice to revisit them—and I particularly liked how Evie’s OCD is still there, it hadn’t just been ‘fixed’. And each of their personalities really shine through their first person narratives.

We also get to find out more about the girls’ boyfriends, particularly Oli and his struggle with mental health and how this affects Evie.

As with all of Bourne’s books, this book speaks truth. It shows what university can be like for some teenagers (via Lottie), how mental health issues don’t completely go away (Evie), and looks at big life changes (Amber), and ‘growing up’ and apart from school friends.

The only thing that makes this book a 4 star rather than 5, for me, is that the plot line seemed a little weak—nothing huge happens like in the other books, and this book is definitely written for those readers who are already familiar with the series. Whereas I felt the other books could be read in any order and each worked as a standalone, this one is one definitely to read after the others.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...