Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Review: PEOPLE LIKE US by Dana Mele

People Like UsPeople Like Us by Dana Mele
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Kay Donovan may have skeletons in her closet, but the past is past, and she's reinvented herself entirely. Now she's a star soccer player whose group of gorgeous friends run their private school with effortless popularity and acerbic wit. But when a girl's body is found in the lake, Kay's carefully constructed life begins to topple. The dead girl has left Kay a computer-coded scavenger hunt, which, as it unravels, begins to implicate suspect after suspect, until Kay herself is in the crosshairs of a murder investigation. But if Kay's finally backed into a corner, she'll do what it takes to survive. Because at Bates Academy, the truth is something you make... not something that happened.

--

People Like Us is Dana Mele’s debut, a tightly plotted thriller oozing with characters who all have such great depth.

The novel begins with the discovery of Jessica Lane’s body, found by our protagonist Kay and her friends. Jessica, a fellow student, has been murdered, her body dumped in the lake on grounds of Bates Academy, the private boarding school that the female characters (apart from Justine) attend.

Immediately, we know that the main character Kay has a dark past and lots of secrets. Something that really helps build the tension as we read when it becomes apparent that Kay is a suspect for Jessica’s murder.

But when Jessica begins to “talk” to Kay from beyond the grave, instructing her to carry out a scavenger hunt that will reveal the dark secrets of her past and those of her friends, things get really interesting.

At the start of the book, I could not turn the pages fast enough. It was SO compelling and Kay’s character really drove my desire to read. She’s dark and overwhelmed with guilt. She’s already witnessed two deaths before Jessica’s and her narrative voice is intriguing. She’s also bi, having relationships with both her boyfriend and her best friend, Brie (among others). But she cheats a lot, as do many other characters in this book, which shocked me quite a bit.

A lot of the characters are morally ambiguous or outright evil. Everyone has dark secrets and things they’ve done that they’re ashamed of or regret (and a few of the characters think nothing of their mean actions). This book had A LOT of drama—it’s relentless and due to the continuous stream of it, at times I felt breathless reading. I felt I needed a break to digest what I’d read, yet I also wanted to keep reading. This resulted in me continuing, but the non-stop action ended up actually slowing the pace for me, from the 40-80% marks.

There are a lot of characters in this book, and at times I did forget who was who—but this only concerned more minor background characters, so it wasn’t a problem at all. All the main characters were fully fleshed and felt so real.

I did guess who the villain was early on, but there were a lot of red herrings that nearly made me change my mind. Ultimately, though, I was pleased to learn that I had been right as to the identity of Jessica’s murderer.

The Scavenger Hunt aspect of this book reminded me a lot of Thirteen Reasons Why, yet the clues within the game were very well written and of a completely different style (and often it was a good job the characters explained them as a few I didn’t understand).

The craft is really good in this book. There are some beautiful lines and images, really meaningful messages.

All in all, this is a recommended read for fans of YA thrillers who love a good murder mystery.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...