Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Review: MEAT MARKET by Juno Dawson

Meat MarketMeat Market by Juno Dawson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jana Novak's history sounds like a classic model cliché: tall and gangly, she's uncomfortable with her androgynous looks until she's unexpectedly scouted and catapulted to superstardom.

But the fashion industry is as grimy as it is glamorous. And there are unexpected predators at every turn.

Jana is an ordinary girl from a south London estate, lifted to unimaginable heights. But the further you rise, the more devastating your fall ...

Honest and raw, this is a timely exposé of the dark underbelly of the fashion industry in an era of #TimesUp and #MeToo. It might just be Juno Dawson's most important book yet.


--

I’ve been reading so many amazing books recently and MEAT MARKET by Juno Dawson is definitely now top of my list. It’s just that good.

Last year I read CLEAN by Dawson, and I fell in love with her writing. I knew that this was an author I just had to read more of. And so when I got the chance to grab a copy of MEAT MARKET I just couldn’t read it fast enough.

This is the story of Jana Novak, a girl who is scouted to become a model. Initially reluctant, she goes ahead with it—and becomes one of the big names in the model industry.

This is just an amazing book. Dawson uses Java’s journey to show how toxic the modelling industry is. She exposes the sexism and impossibly high standards models are held accountable to, giving readers a powerful insight into this industry. Important topics such as sexual assault in the workplace and the #MeToo movement are explored tactfully and powerfully.

MEAT MARKET examines how models’ bodies are seen as commodities and just how bad some models are treated.

We see how this culture encourages eating disorders and how models are seen everywhere, but rarely heard. We rarely know what a model’s voice sounds like. They’re very much used just for their body.

We also see how drugs play a big role in this industry. Dawson skilfully shows how Jana starts off bright-eyed and eager, only to succumb to the impossible standards imposed on her and the relentless pressures, eventually choosing to take drugs to numb herself to the harsh realities of the modelling industry, in order to continue her career. As Jana becomes addicted to the drug, it provides a haziness to both her and the reader. I almost felt like I was also drugged at times as I read. That’s how good the writing is.

And yes, the narrative voice. It is phenomenal. Seriously good. Jana’s voice is unique and it grabs you. I also loved how there are a variety of different literary devices employed to tell the story alongside Jana's narrative. We've also got a film transcript and articles.

This is one of those books that is so important to read, and I really recommend that everyone reads it. It’s a powerful YA story and even though I finished it days ago, I can’t stop thinking about it.

*content warning for: sexual assault, rape, eating disorders, transphobic comments directed at the MC*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...