Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Review: BE THAT UNICORN by Jenny Block

Be That Unicorn: Find Your Magic, Live Your Truth, and Share Your ShineBe That Unicorn: Find Your Magic, Live Your Truth, and Share Your Shine by Jenny Block
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What would "that unicorn" do? This is the book that answers that question in every scenario. We should all want to be "that unicorn" because "that unicorn" is the best you. The best person, really. The kind of person we are all drawn to. My mom had always said that people are drawn to be because I make everyone feel good about themselves. All through my life people have echoed that sentiment. It's the thing I love about myself the most. This is the book that shares that love. The big sister, BFF, mom, cheerleader, coach, what have you, that everyone deserves. A unicorn is a glittery, rainbow maned metaphor for one's joyful self. That stuff can sound so "woo woo." The metaphor makes it palatable, accessible and relatable.

"Be That Unicorn" might appear to be a silly book on the surface, but at its core, it's about being yourself and feeling really, really good about that and making others feel really, really good about themselves too. It's all about contradictions and not following the crowd or doing the expected.


This book would is about being a unicorn at home, at work, in relationships, in the world, etc. It's about doing the unexpected because that's what you love and that's what works for you and that's what makes others inspired to do the same. My friends all call me a unicorn because I am drawn to all things sparkly and pink, yes, but more because, to look at my five foot frame, you'd never expect the outspoken, bawdy, leader of the pack that I am - who also loves to bake and take care of her friends and family. They say I make them want to be themselves too. Everyone always asks if I am always smiling. Not always, I tell them. But most of the time because even if I'm not feeling the joy right at that moment, I still want everyone around me to feel it.


Now don't get confused. Being a unicorn doesn't mean always being happy, nor does it mean ignoring the bad stuff. It means taking it in, reacting with anger or tears, and then letting it go. Just keep prancing!
There are people who don't like you. There are people with more money than you. There are people who are more successful than you. It's not about not caring about that. Of course, we care, we're human. It's about caring and sallying forth just the same. That is what "that unicorn" does. The horn may be mythical. But the unicorn is real. She's the girl you don't think can exist. But we do.


It's hard to be told that everything about you is not ok. That you should not be upset by things. That you should always smile. That you shouldn't care what other people think. The thing is all of that is swirling around in us and around us. So why not be the unicorn and keep prancing just the same? It's not about not having the feelings. It's about knowing we're going to have those feelings and not letting them stop us.
I do give a f*ck. I do sometimes feel like sh*t. And some of things people say about be aren't lies. I just don't let that stop me. That's the difference. "That unicorn" is like the little engine who could. "That Unicorn" doesn't delude herself into thinking that the mud is meringue or the rain is ribbons or the hating is high-fiving. She allows herself the feels, ugly cry and all and says, "Yes all of that is real AND." No excuses. Just living happy while living in reality.
 

--

I first came across BE THAT UNICORN when I interviewed author Jenny Block for Book Party Chat, an event designed to raise awareness for recent releases whose launches had been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. Talking to Jenny was a delight, and her enthusiasm for the subject this book is on made me go out and order a copy right away.

I don't really read a lot of self-help books, but BE THAT UNICORN is one I'll definitely be returning to, dipping in and out of it when needed. It's a pocket-sized book that can easily fit in a bag, and it's all about teaching the reader to be happy and accepting of who they are. As the book says, "being That Unicorn isn't about being perfect. It isn't about glossing over the hard stuff or the sad stuff. It's about being true to yourself".

I particularly liked how this book acknowledges that life does throw bad things at us. Being "the unicorn" doesn't mean we're permanently happy and unaffected by bad events. Jenny Block shows us how we can "be amazing" even though "things are going to get messed up now and again". She concentrates on the importance of getting back up and not wallowing, and really focusing on strength.

Authenticity is such a big thing in this book. Jenny Block really shows us how important it is to be authentic and how authenticity is linked to self-esteem. Other topics included in this book include the concept of "the one" and dating, trust, work, and caring for others--and how all these things can be done while still being that unicorn, being the best and most authentic versions of ourselves.

There really are so many gems of wisdom in this book, and the whole thing is written in an easy-to-engage manner. It feels neither preachy nor instructional, but rather like a friend speaking to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...