Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Review: THE EYES OF MIKRA by Isvari


The Eyes of MikraThe Eyes of Mikra by Isvari
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I absolutely loved this story. You know how sometimes a book just grabs you and you can't stop thinking about it? That's this book. It's haunting and emotional, and it's almost got a timeless feel to it as it explores the effects war has on a person's mind.

The book opens with immediate intrigue and mystery and bloodshed. SJ has lost her memory, due to a bomb blast, and we're immediately thrown into the horrors of war, as well as SJ's own struggle to know who she is and to re-find her identity (and learn of the horrors of her past). We've also got the ominous 'presence' of Agent S right from the start, the antagonist, and I love how we only know as much about Agent S as SJ does at this point--we discover who this agent is just as SJ rediscovers her life.

And I just want to talk a bit about the structure--The Eyes of Mikra is the memoir of the MC, SJ. I'll admit, I didn't entirely realise it was her memoir until I was about a third of the way through, when the text explicitly says it. Up until then I'd thought it was multiple timelines, where one is told through diary extracts and the other through present-day action. But there were times when the writing seemed too reflective and not immediate enough to be present-day, so the revelation that we're actually reading a fictional memoir was great. I'm actually a huge fan of memoir, but I've never really read a fictional one--though as soon as I realised this is SJ's memoir, I realised it had a similar tone to The DNA of You and Me by Andrea Rothman--both have this contemplative voice, and are so, so emotional.

I'm also not usually a fan of books where part of the story is told through diary extracts, but the narrative device really works here. It gives an extra layer to an already complex and sophisticated story. And the diary extracts are cleverly woven into the story to add to the details we already know. And the diary extracts also have a distinctive voice too--we can really get a 'then' and 'now' sense. And the diary adds authenticity to SJ's story, especially as the voice changes and feels very natural for character growth.

One thing I really liked about this story is its emphasis on appearance and disfigurement. You've got the MC with prominent scars on her face that are in the healing process--and I felt that the way other characters react to this, namely her mother, was really telling for their relationships. I also love how at one point the mother brings her a photo of her as a child, in order to try and jog her memory of who she is, and it's a photo of the MC as a child with her favourite toy, a stuffed dog. But the thing that SJ focuses on in the photo is the tear across the dog's eyes. I thought this was a great parallel to SJ scars--"I'd pored over him myself for weeks, in the end convincing myself that my haphazard stitches made him more beautiful than the tear"--and this is just so poignant to SJ as she adapts to her new life. And this parallel of a dog with the MC is explored later in the book too, as near the end SJ tells us how she gets companionship from a stray dog. It's a really poignant moment, and it gives the whole narrative a circular feel.

It's also got some dark content that prompts the reader to look at the horrors of war and the moral dilemmas soldiers may face, such as shooting children. This book also looks at ideas of innocence and purity (in childhood) and it's contrasted powerfully with the horrors of war. And the imagery is so strong and vivid, especially when it comes to showing the different sides of human nature.

And it's got a lot of discourse on family and secrets too--as well as a feminist streak (I was so glad when SJ challenged Laki on her views on women's roles, but also how it shows how different people/societies look at this and the way beliefs are engrained like this). It's amazing how many things are blended into this story so effectively. There really is so much to say about it.

And the ending! There's a great twist. Such a reveal!

I really recommend this book. The Eyes of Mikra has everything you could want: a strong-willed MC, spies, secrets, love and death, a clever narrative, and a cast of realistic and believable characters.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...