Pages

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Review: BABY TEETH by Meg Grehan

 

Baby TeethBaby Teeth by Meg Grehan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A unique verse novel of queer love, lust, and vampires. From the award-winning author of The Deepest Breath and The Space Between.

The blood
Feeds the hunger
That threatens everything


It starts when Claudia offers her a yellow rose.
Immy has been in love before – many times, across many lifetimes. But never as deeply, as intensely as this.
Claudia has never been in love this before either. But then, this is her first time with a vampire.
The forbidden thirst for blood runs deep in Immy. And within her mind clamour the voices, of all the others she has been, their desires, and their wrongs.


“A fresh, dark take on the vampire myth and desire, Baby Teeth shows vampires haunted by their pasts and memories, where immortality is not one long life but a broken patchwork of different experiences. It will twine around your heart and bite, ever so gently. I adored it.” – Helen Corcoran

---

I picked up BABY TEETH at Waterstones just before my husband and I went on honeymoon. I then read almost all the book in one day but took it with me to finish on the train, only to them not be able to find the book. And then today, about four months later, I found it! No idea where it had been hiding all that time because weirdly it was just on my bookcase now, but I finally finished it. And that ending was perfect.

BABY TEETH is this beautiful sapphic story of vampires and lust and desire. It’s about memories and identity and found family, and I actually loved every single character. I also loved the take on vampires that Meg Grehan gives us: vampires living multiple lives, becoming different people, rather than living one life forever. It was so refreshing and a great way to explore the characters and their relationships.

And this is a novel in verse too! The writing is gorgeous, with some truly beautiful lines and imagery.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...