Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Review: ETERNAL SEAS by Lexi Rees


Eternal Seas (The Relic Hunters, #1)Eternal Seas by Lexi Rees
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Such a small parcel shouldn't cause experienced smugglers much trouble, but this parcel is far from normal.

Lost and scared after a violent storm, Finn and his sister, Aria, take shelter on a remote island. They discover the parcel contains a relic belonging to a long forgotten people. Locked inside are powers which will change their lives, and the world, forever.

As Finn realises his connection to the relic, a vision strikes him - but what does it mean? Who should they trust? And if they decide to follow their hearts rather than their orders, will they manage to deliver the relic in one piece?

Chased across the seas as they try to solve the mysteries within the parcel, the fate of this ancient people depends on them. Finn and Aria must choose between what is right and what is easy - and time is running out ...


I was delighted to get the opportunity to read an early copy of this book--huge thanks to the author and publisher.

This is the first MG novel I've read in over a year (as I usually read and review YA and adult), but as soon as I'd read the first couple of pages, I knew I was going to love it. This is such an action-packed fantasy tale, perfect for fans of Harry Potter who are looking for a magical, nautical adventure.

What really struck me about the prose was the sea imagery. It really is beautiful, and the language is evocative and rhythmic--but it's not overdone or overwhelming in any way, and it's at a suitable level for its intended readership. (I really appreciated how Lexi Rees doesn't write 'down' to her readers or over-simplify things, just because they're children, as I've noted this can be a problem with many MG and children's books.)

The characterisation is strong, and there's a very good dynamic between protagonist and antagonist (and this is definitely a villain who readers will love to hate). I particularly liked how charged Finn and Aria's names are--not to give too many spoilers here, but once you've read it, it becomes obvious why they have these names and I thought that was a lovely touch.

A big theme of ETERNAL SEAS is loyalty, and I loved how the author integrated such a powerful message as she tests her main character's loyalty as secrets are revealed. But it's done in such a way that it's not preachy at all, and it is an entertaining read--for both adults and children. The pages simply brim with energy, and this is an atmospheric read that just grabs you.

In short, ETERNAL SEAS is a must-read for young fantasy fans.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...