Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Review: THAT NIGHT by Cecily Wolfe

 

That NightThat Night by Cecily Wolfe
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Drug overdoses don't happen to girls with good grades and athletic talent, with longtime friends and a devoted boyfriend. Or do they?

When high school seniors Cassidy and Sarah, along with Kayla's boyfriend Paul, discover their best friend Kayla unconscious at a party, the idea that they have lost her to a heroin overdose is unbelievable. She didn't use drugs, except the pain medicine prescribed for a soccer injury, and she had no reason to accept any from a stranger. The month that follows her death is filled with anxiety, sadness, frustration, and questions. Answers won't bring Kayla back, however, so as Cass and Sarah struggle with the insensitive but predictable behavior of parents, classmates, and teachers, Paul falls into a depression that leads him down a dangerous path. With Kayla's younger sister Mia in mind, the three of them work towards forging ahead without the girl who has held them together since elementary school.

--

This is an important story to tell--about how it's not just drug addicts who end up dying due to overdoses--but for me, it just didn't engage me in the way that I'd hoped. It ended up being a DNF about listening to about half of the audiobook. Although the writing was good at times, I found it a bit flat, a little repetitive, and it just didn't really hold my attention. I think this is just a personal preference kind of thing though as I was expecting a more engaging story.

However, I did find the alternating points of view a little disorientating as we seemed to flit from one POV character to the next, often in the same paragraph, and I kept getting a bit lost and never quite knowing who the POV character in any given scene was because of this headhopping.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...