Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Review: SWEET LITTLE LIES by Caz Frear

 

Sweet Little Lies (Cat Kinsella, #1)Sweet Little Lies by Caz Frear
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In this gripping debut procedural, a young London policewoman must probe dark secrets buried deep in her own family's past to solve a murder and a long-ago disappearance.

Your father is a liar. But is he a killer?
Even liars tell the truth... sometimes.


Twenty-six-year-old Cat Kinsella overcame a troubled childhood to become a Detective Constable with the Metropolitan Police Force, but she's never been able to banish these ghosts. When she's called to the scene of a murder in Islington, not far from the pub her estranged father still runs, she discovers that Alice Lapaine, a young housewife who didn't get out much, has been found strangled.

Cat and her team immediately suspect Alice's husband, until she receives a mysterious phone call that links the victim to Maryanne Doyle, a teenage girl who went missing in Ireland eighteen years earlier. The call raises uneasy memories for Cat--her family met Maryanne while on holiday, right before she vanished. Though she was only a child, Cat knew that her charming but dissolute father wasn't telling the truth when he denied knowing anything about Maryanne or her disappearance. Did her father do something to the teenage girl all those years ago? Could he have harmed Alice now? And how can you trust a liar even if he might be telling the truth?

Determined to close the two cases, Cat rushes headlong into the investigation, crossing ethical lines and trampling professional codes. But in looking into the past, she might not like what she finds...
 

--

I've had this book on my shelf for a while, and I don't know why I didn't pick it up for so long--because the moment I started it, I could not stop reading. Seriously, I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately and I finished off this book in just over two days. It's just amazing.

Right away, Frear introduces us to main character Cat and the dark secret she's hiding about her father. When she was a child, a girl went missing and she knows her father lied to the police. Now, an adult, Cat is a police detective. She's suffering with fragile mental health--PTSD following a gruelling murder case--and the new case she's on has links to the past, and her father.

This is just such a complex book. And it covers so much. Secrets and lies and betrayal. You've got complicated familial relationships, an examination of grief and one's desire to protect themselves.

The story is told across two timelines, and the inclusion of the flashbacks was particularly well done. Seriously, really good. They may have been short snippets but they not only fleshed out the past mystery but were placed wonderfully to spur on the present-day storyline too.

And the characterisation! So, this has to be my favourite thing about this book. Frear is masterful at creating believable characters. Every single one of them just leapt off the page. The dialogue for each was spot-on. I especially loved Steele, Cat's boss, but all of them were just so real and authentic.

And the twists! There's a huge twist around who the latest murder victim is, and that left me speechless. Well, I mean, there are many twists in the book, and I found myself really looking forward to the ends of chapters as nearly every one delivered some sort of twist or charged moment.

And the ending--so I hadn't been able to work out who the 'bad guy' was for so long. Every time I thought I knew, Frear was one step ahead. But learning the truth was so satisfying. It really worked. 

There's some dark content in this book: murder, child abuse, sex trafficking, grooming, baby factories, mental illness, and death. 

I'll definitely be looking out for the next book in this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: MOTHERTHING by Ainslie Hogarth

  Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth My rating: 5 of 5 stars A darkly funny domestic horror novel about a woman who must take drastic measure...